Love your pet too much that you want to gift something special this holiday season? Or maybe your pet just loves some time off alone. Even if either of these is the reason or not, it is never late to consider getting a dog teepee. Pet teepees are a great way to help your beloved dog relax, settle down for a nap, nature watch, have some natural instinct-run cave time or just a better option for you to use the teepee for pet reasons otherwise (like store their toys!). Whatever it might be, here we have some tips on choosing the right teepee for your dog, and also on how to make DIY dog teepee. Read on…
Choosing the right teepee for your dog
When it comes to pet teepee purchase online or otherwise or even a DIY dog teepee; there are some rules to remember. These are crucial to pay attention to since it is necessary for dog’s safety and for the surrounding. Here are some pointers to pay attention to.
Does your dog need a teepee?
This is the first question you need to ask yourself (and your dog). Is your dog a teepee-lover? A teepee for your dog is the right choice if your pup or dog loves some privacy, lying around in a cozy spot, is small to medium-sized and isn’t the fussy restless type, then a dog teepee would totally work for your fur ball.
If your dog is always bouncing with energy and has the strong desire to tug and pull things around, then you have to rethink getting a dog teepee. If your dog is too big, then a readymade dog teepee might be a challenge to find. But if even your large sized dog is more on the calmer side and will love to lie around undisturbed, you can still consider getting the right teepee for large size dog.
As mentioned already, the size of the teepee is important. The dog teepee has to be of the right size to fit your dog comfortably. It should be small enough to mimic a cavey comfort, and large enough to provide the space to make turns at least.
The dog teepee material is absolutely a must to watch out for. It has to be NON-INFLAMMABLE. Your dog might drag it around to places where it might get inflamed. If you use any heating mats or have placed the teepee close to hot radiators or any place where it needs caution, you have to keep a watch for the teepee. For this reason, it is a must to use a non-inflammable material for the teepee tent. Also be sure to never use a pet teepee during campfire. If at all you do, take caution and do not let your dog stay unsupervised.
A pet teepee that comes with curtain holders will be of great help. It can be pegs, straps, buttons or any type of ties that will help to keep the curtains up. This will let you keep an eye on what your dog is up to inside the teepee, and at the same time will prevent any minor accidents from running blindfolded into things.
A floor cover for pet teepee saves lots of vacuuming later. A teepee that comes with floor cover will keep in one place the dog hair, crumbs from food or any litter your dog leaves behind. It will also move along with the teepee so there won’t be any littering wherever your dog drags the teepee to. This is an advantage to you!
Well that is the whole point of a cozy corner, right? What is a teepee without a cushion to lay back on? Find the right type of cushion that your dog will enjoy the most and that which will fit inside the teepee tent properly. If your dog will chew into the cushion, well, it is up to you to decide.
The above pointers are few of the factors that you may want to cautiously consider before you buy a dog teepee. With that being said, let us get to few of the best dog teepee varieties that you might be interested in.
Cost: $ 88.00 (Click Here For Latest Price)
This is a nice cozy spot that your dog will love and is just the perfect fit for a small to medium dog. It teepee canvas is meant for only dry cleaning and is easy to set up. The small size has an adjustable height of 22-24″ when standing, and an adjustable width of 18-22”.
Pros and Cons of Canvas Dog Teepee – Small
- Easy installation
- Sturdy material
- Will be spacious for a small to medium dog
- It does not come with a cushion or floor cover
Cost: $ 195.00 (Click Here For Latest Price)
A nice fit for medium to large dogs that will fall under the measurements will make this teepee a good buy for your dog. The large size of the Canvas Dog Teepee is 64-68″ standing and 48-52″ wide.
Pros and Cons of Canvas Dog Teepee – Large
- Teepee material is sturdy and good
- Easy to install
- May not fit all medium and large size dogs comfortably
- Floor cover and cushion not available along with the teepee
Cost: $ 104.00 (Click Here For Latest Price)
A great design that you will love, even if your dog does not know. The classic black and white zebra pattern is modern and attractive. This dog teepee also is of canvas material and travel-friendly. The measurements are as follows:
- Height including poles is 39”
- Height from bottom to top of canvas is 31”
- 32” wide
- 30” deep
- Door opening is 20” x 13”
- Carrying Bag is 27” x 5” x 5”
Pros and Cons of Stripped Dog Teepee
- Canvas material that is durable and easy to care
- The measurements are comfortable for a small to medium size dog. Large dogs may or may not find this easy
- Comes with a stripped carry bag, hence travel-friendly and easy to store
- Opening of the dog tent is large enough to fit dog cushion inside
DIY Dog Teepee
If you are wondering how to make a dog teepee at home, worry not. It is simple! All you need if few materials to get started and you will have your won DIY pet teepee. Here is the list of the things you will need to get started.
- A painter’s canvas
- 48” dowels (4 or 5)
- A clothespin
- An electric drill
- Anti-skid rubber protection pads (optional)
Steps to make DIY Dog Teepee
- Wash and dry the painter’s canvas. This will make the teepee tent and it must be free from wrinkles when you set it up. Hence wash and dry well.
- You can use 4 or 5 dowels, based on how you want the teepee to turn out.
- Drill holes on the top end of the dowels. Now loop in the rope to tie all the dowels together. Remember, if you have a larger dog, 5 dowels which are longer in size will be comfortable.
- Place the end or foot of the dowel firmly to the ground. You can use Anti-skid rubber protection pads for the dowel ends to protect hardwood floors and to prevent skidding.
- Cut the canvas into a triangle. Wrap it around the dowel and secure with a clothespin.
- You can decorate the front or entrance anyway you prefer. Also add inside a carpet, cushion or floor covers. If your dog prefers the tent outdoors without and base, let the furball have the fun they need!
And we are at the end of our post on Dog Teepee. Buy or DIY? Whichever interest you the most, go ahead and surprise your dog this holiday!
Read more pet product reviews: