Being a dog parent is a journey filled with unending days of fun, love, and excitement. Both, dog owners and those without dogs, are fully aware of the burst of energy and uplifting moments that dogs provide. Providing your pet with healthy food and shelter is equally important as those hours of play. It is crucial to provide adequate nutrition for adult dogs and for pups. Here we have a wonderful list of 37 Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes. They are easy to make and easy to store dog food recipes. How tasty and nutritious they will be goes without saying. Check them out!
Before we begin, here is a quick look at what an adult dogs diet should contain (unless your dog has special needs to be met which your vet will guide you with).
- High protein diet – about 20% of the meal
- Fat – 5 to 8%
- Manganese – 1.2 mg in a 1000 calorie diet
- Phosphorous – 0.75 grams
- Calcium – 1 gram in a 100 calorie diet
- Iron – 7.5 mg
- Zinc – 15 mg
- Vitamins – A, D, B12, and E
- Niacin – about 4 mg in a 1000 calorie diet
- Folic Acid – 68 micrograms
Homemade Dog Meal Recipes
The search for the best homemade dog meal is never-ending. This is because there is no one perfect recipe. Our dogs also love the variety in dog food just like us humans. They also like to experiment with different tastes. Moreover, along with drooling tasty homemade dog food, it is equally essential to ensure that you provide balanced dog food. Here are some interesting homemade dog meal recipes that have both crunchy dog food recipes and wholesome dog meal recipes. Check them out!
The Old Standard
This is the most common homemade dog food recipe that most dog owners might be already familiar with. The Old Standard comes with healthy ingredients for dog food and the most common ones- brown rice, turkey, and vegetables. It is easy to make, convenient to store and perfect for dog health. This recipe can be altered with whatever ingredients you like and you will notice that your dog will enjoy the wholesome meal on the bowl. It is far healthier than any readymade dog food that you purchase from the pet stores.
Brown Rice – 1½ cup
Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon
Turkey – Ground – 3 pounds
Baby Spinach – Chopped – 3 cups
Carrots – Shredded – 2
Zucchini – Shredded – 1
Peas – Canned or Frozen – ½ cup
How to prepare The Old Standard recipe
- Take a large saucepan and fill it with 3 cups of water. To this water add the brown rice (follow instructions mentioned on the packet). Cook the rice and keep this saucepan aside.
- Next, take a large stockpot or a Dutch oven. Add some olive oil inside it and heat the oil over medium flame for a while.
- Add the ground turkey to the heated olive oil. Ensure that the turkey has been crumbled completely.
- Cook the turkey on medium until it browns entirely. This might take around 3 to 5 minutes.
- To this browned turkey now add spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas, and brown rice. Cook this again for about 3 to 5 minutes; until the spinach has completely wilted.
- Allow this to cool down thoroughly before you proceed further.
- All you are let to do now is to store the delicious meals in containers to make small portions. Label them with the date on and freeze them.
- Before you serve it to your dog it has to be thawed overnight in the fridge and can be reheated again for 10 to 15 minutes.
- This is a wonderful recipe that welcomes alterations; add any other fruit or vegetable or grain that your dog or dog breed nutrition profile especially requires. This recipe is perfect as the ideal homemade dog meal for almost all dog breeds since it is a great balanced diet for dogs. It has 50% of protein, and 25% each of veggies and grains. This should guarantee a healthy life for your dog.
Homemade Multigrain Dog Food
We are all aware that grains are a rich source of proteins. They are highly essential to be a part of daily diet, for both humans and dogs as well. It will help your animal to have a healthy life when consumed on a regular basis. But, you must be wondering as a contradiction why we buy dog food that says “grain-free”. This is because store-bought dog food contains preservatives when they make use of grains and this, in turn, can prove to be harmful or trigger an allergic reaction in dogs. Hence grains in dog food from outside should be avoided. However, you can make your very own DIY Multigrain Dog Food at home to provide your dog with nutrition. It is extremely simple to prepare and convenient to store as well.
Whole Wheat Flour – 2 cups
Unbleached Flour – All Purpose – 1½ cup
Soy Flour – ½ cup
Cornmeal – 1 cup
Non-fat Dry Powdered Milk – 1 cup
Rolled Oats – 1 cup
Wheat Germ – ½ cup
Brewer’s Yeast – ½ cup
Large Sized Egg – 1
Corn Oil – 5 tablespoons
Water – 3 cups
Salt – 1 tablespoon
How to prepare Homemade Multigrain Dog Food
- You will start by preheating the oven to over 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the dry ingredients and mix them together as you go.
- In a smaller bowl, add in the egg and corn oil. Mix them well until they are combined together smoothly.
- Now, in the larger bowl with the dry ingredients, pour in some water, give it a mix and pour in the egg and corn oil mixture. Give it a good mix until combined well. The batter now obtained will be thin in consistency.
- Spread the dough over baking sheets, even in thickness and adequately. It can be half an inch in thickness, similar to your pizza dough.
- Send the sheets with dough into the preheated oven. Let it cook for 45 minutes.
- Check if evenly cooked and let the kibble cool down. You can divide it into smaller bite-sized portions for your dog.
- The rest can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer. You can use them by allowing the homemade kibble to thaw for a few minutes.
Homemade Raw Dog Food
Wonder if your pet is ever longing to have a taste of raw food once in a while? Maybe they do or maybe they don’t. However, as responsible dog parents, we ought to remember that dog come from a line of wild animals that used to fend for their own food, those that used to hunt and were pretty healthy consuming raw food with all its nutrients and proteins unaltered. As years went by, our pets have gotten accustomed to the food we cook for them. Nature knows what’s best and so providing your dog with a certain amount of raw meat, vegetables and fruits are not going to cause any harm (unless your dog has allergies. In this case better to check with your vet before you decide to give your dog raw dog food). Homemade raw dog food is extremely easy to prepare and you can jump in and add the other fresh food that your dog is fond of into them. There is a certain proportion of recommended raw dog food, which is considered to be a lot healthier than the commercially available packed dog food in the markets. This is how it can be combined to give the best nutrition for dogs in a balanced raw dog food.
- 80% meat with fat
- 10% organs
- 5% vegetables or fruits
- 5% dairy or supplements
Ground Beef – 2½ pounds
Chicken Livers – 4 ounces (113 grams)
Carrot – Chopped – 1
Apple – Cored – 1 small sized
Baby Spinach – ½ cup
Whole Eggs – Including Shell – 2 whole
Plain Yogurt – ½ cup
Ground Flaxseed – 1 tablespoon
Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon
How to prepare Homemade Raw Dog Food
- In a food processor, blend in the carrots, apple, and spinach. Work on until they are finely chopped.
- Now add in the rest of the ingredients, except beef, into the chopped ingredients and mix them all together again. Running the processor on until they are combined well.
- The mixture that you now have obtained can be poured into a large mixing bowl. Add in the meat to this mixture and combine it all together.
- Have a baking sheet lined with parchment paper ready.
- Roll the final mixture into small size balls and press them to form patties, in the size of your palm. Place the patties on the baking sheet.
- Freeze these patties until they are completely frozen. Remove them from the sheet and store in an airtight container.
- Before you give it to your dog, you can take only the share of patties that your dog will consume and thaw it in the refrigerator. Better to thaw it overnight.
Homemade Crunchy Dog Food
Not always your dog will appreciate you for the bowl full of tasty beef stew. Not they wouldn’t like it, but it might turn out to be boring. Dogs love to bite and munch on some crunchy food. Here we have a great recipe for homemade crunchy dog food. The commercial dog food might guarantee you a lot of crunch and taste, sadly they are also loaded with harmful chemicals and preservatives in dog food which is not the healthiest way to nutrition for dogs. Instead, you can make your own crunchy dog food at home and also store them easily for regular meals.
Whole Wheat Flour – 4 cups
Rye Flour – 2 cups
Non-fat Milk Powder – 2 cups
Bone Meal – 2 teaspoon
Plain Wheat Germ – 1 cup
Fresh Parsley – Chopped – ½ cup (or use 2½ tablespoon of parsley flakes)
Sweet Potatoes – Cooked and pureed – 2 cups
Dried Apples – Chopped – 1½ cups
Spinach – Frozen, chopped, thawed and drained – 2 cups
Cooked Ground Beef, Pork, Lamb, Duck, Chicken or Turkey – 4 cups
Worcestershire Sauce – 4 tablespoon
Eggs – 4
Safflower (Corn or Olive Oil) – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Kosher Salt – 1 teaspoon
How to prepare Homemade Crunchy Dog Food
- Prepare by preheating oven to 300 degrees and set aside 2 large cookie trays and spray them with non-stick cooking spray. Cookies trays of size 18 inches by 13 inches would be ideal.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, milk powder, bone meal, wheat germ, parsley, and salt. Mix these ingredients together.
- In a smaller bowl beat the eggs and combine them with the oil. You can use a blender here for easier mixing. Now add the Worcestershire sauce and give it a good mix.
- Go back to the flour mixture, add water to it and mix it well together. Now add the egg mixture to this and fold it in gently and correctly. Mix well ensuring that all the ingredients are combined together thoroughly.
- To this add the meat, sweet potatoes, dried apples and the spinach. Once done, press the ingredients together into the dough.
- Spread this dough really flat and thin on the cookie sheet. Make sure it has been pressed evenly throughout.
- You can go ahead and cut the dough into smaller squares with the help of a knife. This will make it easier to be removed when cooked.
- Send the cooking sheets into the oven and let the dough cook for 45 minutes to an hour.
- While still cooking in the oven, you can use a wooden spoon or spatula and move the kibble around on the cookie sheet. This will ensure that the dough is getting cooked evenly.
- After the set time, you can check on a kibble. It must be crunchy when you break it open and not doughy. For better crunchiness, you can let the kibble dry out in the oven with the oven door closed, for 4 to 6 hours. Better still, let it be inside a closed oven overnight.
- Once you have removed the kibble form the oven, allow it to cool in the cooling rack for an hour or two. Wait until it is completely cool before you serve it to your dog.
For variations of taste in the homemade dog kibble and for better nutrition in dog food, you can also add alfalfa leaf, barley, basil leaf, beets, broccoli, brown rice, carrots, flaxseed meal, green beans, Kamut, nutritional yeast flakes, peas, potatoes, rolled oats, rosemary leaf, and zucchini.
Homemade Dog Meal
What more can be better in life than delicious food to eat every day and sound health? The same applies to your dog. Homemade dog food is the best for your furry pets. It comes without the risk of preservatives in dog food and other harmful additives in pet food that commercial dog food packets usually contain. This recipe for homemade dog food is a complete healthy diet for dogs. It is not alone a delicious combination of ingredients but they are also a balanced diet for dogs and healthy. Turkey, chicken, eggs, meat, vegetable, and rice will provide all the required nutrients for dogs. It is easy to prepare and simple to store as well.
Ground Beef – 1 pound
Ground Chicken – ½ pound
Ground Turkey – ½ pound
Baby Carrots – 1 pound
Baking Potatoes – 2 small sized
Brown Rice – 3 cups
Eggs – Slightly Beaten – 3
Chicken Broth – 3 cups
Water – 2 cups
How to prepare Homemade Dog Meal
- In large 6-quart dutch oven add all the 3 types of ground meat into it. Cook them together.
- To this now add rice, chicken broth, and water. Stir and cook them together with the meat on a medium flame for 30 minutes.
- Follow this by adding carrots, potatoes, and beaten eggs. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Allow the mixture to cook for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the container from the stove and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Once it has cooled down thoroughly you can pour the homemade dog meal mixture into smaller storage units and store them in the freezer. It freezes really easily hence it is easy to store.
- Before you serve it for your dog, you will have to remember to thaw it overnight on the refrigerator.
Mini Omelets for Dog
Eggs are an all-time delicacy. Hope you also agree with that. Many have been big fans of eggs and of their rich amount of fatty acids and proteins. Eggs are considered to be a wholesome food, it comes as a complete package. There are many different ways one enjoys an egg, and an omelet is the most famous among them. Sure you wouldn’t be new to knowing that dogs love cooked eggs too. It is healthy, tasty and perfect to have any time of the day. Omelets can be made with elaborate ingredients or just with some seasoning. Anything makes it perfect. Mini omelets for dogs can be the ideal snack recipe to keep your dog healthy and happy as well.
Eggs – Organic– 2
Smoked Salmon – Thinly Sliced
Green Pepper – Diced
Oven Safe Ramekin – 1
How to prepare Mini Omelets for Dogs
- Prepare to start by greasing the ramekin lightly with olive oil.
- Crack open the eggs directly into the ramekin.
- Now add the diced green peppers and salmon into the eggs. Stir well to ensure all ingredients are combined thoroughly.
- Once mixed, send the ramekin into the oven. Let this cook for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Once you notice the top of the omelet turning brown you can remove the omelets. Check if the eggs look well cooked.
- Let it cool down completely before you serve it for your dog.
- This recipe is extremely simple, quick to prepare and cost effective as well. You can make whole batches of it and store as well. Also, try a variation with other ingredients that your dog will appreciate. Broccoli, tomatoes, shaved smoked ham, minced meat, etc., can also be used to make these omelets.
Cookies and Loaf
Dogs are always fond of small bite size treats. It is the best way to treat them during training sessions and play time. If you are keen to provide your dog with some healthy homemade dog treats, then these simple dog cookies recipes and recipes for doggy loaf will help you. They are made from simple ingredients and the taste is guaranteed. The crunch and taste from homemade dog cookies and oozing tasty dog loaf will keep your dog happy and agile! Check them out.
Homemade Healthy Loaf
This recipe has a great balance to ensure it keeps away poor digestion in dogs, while still providing the best of health and taste. It is extremal simple to make and will keep your dog tempted and excited for more (like any other food basically, just that this is a loaf with a twist). The ingredients mentioned below will last for 12 servings.
Lean Ground Turkey – 1 pound
Carrots – Chopped – ½ cup
Peas – ½ cups
Oats – ½ cup
Eggs – 2
Hard-boiled Eggs – 3
How to prepare Homemade Healthy Loaf
- Set your oven ready by preheating it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, evenly mix together peas, carrots and ground turkey.
- To this, break open the eggs and give it a good mix.
- Add in the oats next and mix again. The mixture will form a dough. Divide this dough into 2 halves.
- Grease the oven loaf tray lightly with olive oil. On this place on half of the dough shaping it into a loaf.
- Now place the 3 hard-boiled eggs in the middle, spacing them how you prefer to get equal division when the loaf is cut.
- Add the other half of the dough over the eggs and cover to form a full loaf.
- Bake this in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Once you notice it is fully cooked, cut them into smaller and thin slices and serve to your dog when it has completely cooled down.
Homemade Dog Biscuits Recipe
Which dog does not like to snack on biscuits? Here is an easy and absolutely delicious homemade dog biscuits recipe. It is healthy and tasty, but certainly not good to serve it as a meal. You can use these as a great alternative homemade dog treat during pet training sessions or play time.
Wheat or Oat Flour – 2½ cups
Chicken or Beef Stock – ½ cup
Egg – 1
Bacon Bits, Cheese or Dehydrated Chicken Pieces – ½ cup
How to prepare Homemade Dog Biscuits
- Start by preheating oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl mix together flour, stock, egg and chicken pieces. You can also use the alternatives mentioned above.
- Give the ingredients a good mix. It will form the biscuit dough.
- Pat the dough into small circles or whatever shape you prefer. Place the dough half an inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake the dough into the oven until you can notice browning. This might take 20 minutes. If they require to be cooked the other side as well, turn them around and cook again for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wait until the biscuits have completely cooled down before you serve them to your dog.
Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies for Dogs
Does that surprise you? Well, it is no surprise that dogs equally love peanut butter as much as we do. The caution against anything to do with peanut comes when the allergies strike. Knowing how dearly dogs love peanut butter, some kind-hearted cookery experts formulated pet-friendly peanut butter which is available in several pet stores. That makes it a perfect addition in the homemade peanut butter cookies for dogs. However, if there is a history at your home of peanut allergy in dogs then you should take caution. You can either check with your vet about the recipe or simply substitute the dog cookies recipe with pet-friendly flavors like pumpkin or sweet potato or anything else that your dog seems to be fond of.
Whole Wheat Flour – 2½ cups (if your dog is allergic to whole wheat flour, replace it with rice flour or coconut flour)
Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
Natural Peanut Butter – 1 cup
Water – 1 cup
Honey – 2 tablespoon
Egg – 1
How to prepare Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies for Dogs
- You will start the process by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. You can also keep the tray set ready with a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, add the flour and baking powder. Mix them together.
- Break open the eggs and give it a good mix.
- Now add, the peanut butter, honey, and water. Mix together well, you will get a sticky cookie dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface, and roll the cookie dough to half an inch in thickness evenly. Dust flour whenever it gets too sticky.
- Cut the cookie dough into the shapes you prefer.
- On the cookie sheet, set them 1 inch apart from each other.
- Bake them in the oven for 20 minutes or until they turn brown enough.
- Homemade peanut butter cookies for dogs is ready! Store in an airtight container when it has completely cooled down.
Homemade Pumpkin Dog Biscuits
Dog biscuits have been quite the famous dog treats for long. Lately, you might have noticed that you get dog biscuits in different shapes to make things interesting and attractive and also in new flavors. Although they may taste good for your dog’s tongue (what doesn’t?), they are not always the healthiest option to rely on every day. Packaged dog biscuits might contain preservatives and additives that can turn out harmful for your dog’s health in the long run. Here is an interesting homemade pumpkin dog biscuits recipe which you can try. It is a healthy and easy alternative. Pumpkin is a natural stool softener for your dog and also healthy. You can also add any other flavors to this that your dog might enjoy.
Pureed Pumpkin – Canned or Homemade – ½ cup
Eggs – 2
Whole Wheat Flour – 2½ cups
Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
Milk – ½ cup
How to prepare Homemade Pumpkin Dog Biscuits
- Get the oven ready by preheating it to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the pumpkin puree and eggs. Beat these together using a fork.
- When it is mixed well add in the flour, salt, and milk. Mix again together thoroughly. It will form a stiff dough.
- You can add a small quantity of water inbetween while mixing if the dough is too tough to mix further.
- Sprinkle some flour on the surface you are going to use to roll the dough. Knead the dough until it is quarter to half-inch thick. Cut the biscuits out in any shape you wish.
- On an ungreased cookie sheet, place the cutout dough half an inch apart from each other.
- Send them into the oven and let it bake for 20 minutes.
- Once done, toss them on the other side and bake again for 20 minutes.
- The tasty homemade pumpkin dog biscuits are ready. Wait until they have completely cooled down before you serve it to your dog.
Homemade Special Layer Cake for Dogs
Cakes and dogs have an unending love story. We all have probably seen the love in their eyes during every party with a cake. Sadly some of the contents in our regular cake turn out to be harmful ingredients for dogs. You can change this over and treat your dog’s tummy and tongue by making them their very own special homemade cake for dogs! It comes with healthy and tasty ingredients and definitely calls for no occasion to celebrate this one.
Chicken – 1 kg (2.2 lbs)
Apple – 1
Carrots – 1/2 cup
Egg – 1
Peas -1/2 cup
Brown rice – 1 cup
Sweet corn – 1/2 cup
How to prepare Homemade Special Layer Cake for Dogs
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Chop carrots, peas, and sweet corn. Keep them in a pot and leave it in the oven for few minutes to cook and soften.
- Peel the apple and chop it into small pieces.
- In a food processor mince the chicken. You can also buy already minced chicken.
- Cook the brown rice as per instructions mentioned on the package.
- Next, mush the vegetables that have cooked in the oven.
- The whole eggs, along with the shell has to be pulverized thoroughly.
- Next, chopped apple, egg, and chicken have to blend together thoroughly.
- Now mix the vegetable melee and rice in a bowl.
- Prepare the cake pan. You can either grease the pan or just line it with baking paper.
- First- add ½ of the chicken mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Second- add 2/3 of the veggies and rice mix and add it over the chicken base.
- Third- add again the rest of the chicken mixture over the veggie and rice mixture.
- Fourth- finish the last layer with the remainder of the veggie mixture.
- Send the cake pan into the preheated oven. Let it cook for 25 minutes or until you notice the juice running clear.
- Let it cool down completely. Cut a slice of the amazing Homemade Special Layer Cake for Dogs and let the party begin!
Homemade Crunchy Kibble for Dogs
No matter what may come; there is a great love that our fur babies show to crunchy dog food. The crunch and taste of dry dog food are exciting for them; using their teeth power to get into their food is probably a great satisfaction we can never understand. However, we have to admit that the packed crunchy dog food contains preservatives harmful to dog health. It is better you can explore your pup or dog have homemade crunchy dog food so that you are aware of what goes into the long run. Here is a great recipe for Homemade Crunchy Kibble for Dogs, which we are sure your dog will relish.
White, whole wheat or oat – 6 cups
Eggs – 3 large (or 4 if medium eggs)
Powdered milk – 1 cup
Baking oil – 1/3 cup
Milk, broth or water – 2-1/2 cups
Wooden spoons – 2
Mixing bowls – 2
How to prepare Homemade Crunchy Kibble for Dogs
- You will start by preheating oven to 350 degrees.
- Get the cookie sheet ready by spraying it with a light coat of baking spray. Leave this aside.
- Empty the flour and powdered milk into a mixing bowl. Blend these together well using the wooden spoon.
- In the second mixing bowl, you will break in the eggs, add the baking oil and the liquid of your choice (water, broth or milk). Combine these wet ingredients thoroughly.
- Next, you will add both the wet and dry ingredient mixtures together. Blend these 2 thoroughly. You will get a thick moist dough, similar to bread dough.
- This is the time you can add any additional flavors to make the homemade kibble for dogs interesting to the taste buds. You can add pureed veggies, bits of fruits or fruit puree, shredded cheese or shredded meat.
- You can get the perfect consistency for the dough by adding flour if it’s too wet and adding some more liquid of its too rough.
- Once the dough is done, spread it on the cookie sheet evenly to one to half an inch in thickness. Send the tray into the oven.
- Let the dough bake for 45 minutes. You can remove the tray once the trit is brown and firm to touch.
- Allow the sheet to cool down completely. The kibble will be crisp and crunchy. You can break these into smaller bite-size pieces.
- Store in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for the perfect homemade dog treats!
Fruits and Vegetables
The goodness of consuming fruits and vegetables on a daily basis cannot be ignored. And this rule applies to both humans and dogs. You can be assured of excellent dog health by including some type of fruit and vegetable in dog food daily. They are filled with ample supply of nutrients, vitamins, minerals and various other compounds that are essential for the overall health of the animal. If you aim to have a healthy dog with a long life span, make some innovations in their dog food recipes with fruits and vegetables and give them the best of health!
13. Homemade Fruit Parfait for Dogs
Your dogs love desserts as well, and there is no harm in trusting them once in a while with some healthy and tasty homemade desserts for dogs. What would make a better dessert than fruit parfait? Fruits are rich in vitamins and proteins and this will make the perfect and safe homemade dessert for dogs for some guilt-free indulgence. Try it out!
Non-fat Yogurt – Plain – ½ cup
Strawberries – Diced – ½ cup
Blueberries – Diced – ½ cup
Applesauce – ½ cup
How to prepare Homemade Fruit parfait for Dogs
- In a bowl add in all the ingredients. Blend them together to get a smooth mixture.
- Serve in small portions as a tasty dessert.
- It can be stored for upto 7 days in the refrigerator.
14. Homemade Fruits and Vegetable strips for Dogs
Vegetarian food for dogs also does a lot of good to them. If you provide only vegetarian food for dogs, for whatever reason it might be, here is a recipe you can try. It is easy and healthy. The bonus of having vegetables and fruits in dog food is that they are easy to digest and good sources of vitamins and proteins. Check out his recipe and do try it at home!
Sweet Potato – 1
Banana – 1 medium sized
Carrots – Minced – 1 cup
Unsweetened Apple Sauce – ½ cup
Wheat Flour – 2 cups
Rolled Oats – 1 cup
Water – 1/3 cup
How to prepare Homemade Fruits and Vegetable strips for Dogs
- Begin by boiling the sweet potato on the oven or over a stove. The inside of the potato must be smooth enough to be mashed. If you boil in the oven it might take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Mash this boiled sweet potato along with the banana.
- To this mixture next, add carrots, rolled oats and wheat flour. Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Dust some flour on a flat surface and roll the dough to an even thickness of one-eighth of an inch.
- Cut the dough into small strips with a regular knife.
- Line them on a baking sheet covered over a pan, ensuring they are placed with sufficient 1-inch distance apart.
- Send the pan into the oven and let it bake for half an hour. Once cooked completely, wait for it to cool down.
- Serve to your dog the healthy homemade veggie and fruit dog treats. Can be stored easily in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 weeks or more.
15. Homemade Vegetable Smoothie for Dogs
Want to get your dog started on some healthy drinks as well? If you haven’t heard before, you can surely make an amazing homemade vegetable smoothie recipe for dogs! It is a great idea to have the perfect blend of taste and health. The mix of vegetables and fruits will help to maintain good health in your dogs, with also the thrill of different taste.
Carrots, Squash, Zucchini, Green Beans, Spinach and Collards – ¼ cup
Apples, Peaches, Pears and Bananas – ¼ cup
Fruit Juice – any juice except Grape Juice – ¼ cup
Yogurt – 4 tablespoons
Cream Cheese – 1 tablespoon
How to prepare Homemade Vegetable Smoothie for Dogs
- Pop in all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend them all together until you get a smooth consistency.
- Ready to serve for your fur baby!
16. Homemade Frozen Yogurt Pops for Dogs
Does your pup or dog enjoy cold treats? If yes, this one is a must try! With a simple recipe and fewer ingredients, this homemade dog treat is a delight to relish. Carrots and fruit juice are perfect to treat vitamin deficiencies in dogs and the yogurt is a great source of calcium and protein supply. If your pet is overweight, remember to use only non-fat yogurt.
Non-fat Frozen Yoghurt – Plain – 6 oz.
Fruit Juice – Without sugar – 1 cup
Carrots -Minced – 1/2 cup
How to prepare Frozen Yogurt Pops for Dogs
- Pop in all the ingredients inside a blender and run it until you get a smooth consistency.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and add it each in one cube of the ice tray.
- Deep freeze the ice tray until you will have complete frozen yogurt pops. Let your dog be the judge!
17. Homemade Vegan Happy Bowl for Dogs
Time for those who are vegan to celebrate. Your dog too can enjoy a perfectly balanced vegan diet with this homemade vegan happy bowl for dogs! This simple recipe is healthy and also budget friendly. Vegetarian dog food is found to be easily digestible. It can serve as a great homemade dog food for pups or those dogs with digestion problems. However, it is best to check with your dog’s vet before you start on a new diet. It is better to go vegan occasionally and not entirely. Here is the recipe for homemade vegan dog food…
Large sweet potato – 1
Black beans – Drained and rinsed – 1 can (15 ounces)
Uncooked brown rice (2/3 cups) + Water (1 1/3 cup) = Yields 2 cups cooked
Kale leaf stem – Broken into 1-inch pieces – 6
How to prepare Homemade Vegan Happy Bowl for Dogs
- Prepare to start by preheating oven to 400 F. Also, line the baking sheet with tin foil and set it aside.
- Using a fork, pierce the large sweet potato multiple times all around it evenly.
- Place this pierced sweet potato on the baking sheet and bake this for an hour.
- While the sweet potato is baking you can cook the rice. You need to bring the rice and water to boil in the stockpot. Once it boils, lower the temperature and let it simmer; keep the lid covered. This will take 45 minutes.
- Once the potato is cooked and cooled down completely, you can go ahead and chop it into smaller pieces.
- Mix together the rice, beans, sweet potato and kale stems. Divide them into 3 separate portions.
- Serve it to your dog and pup and enjoy them gulping down tasty and healthy homemade vegan dog food.
If you are looking for recipes to have high protein content but low on carbs, you can try different recipes with chicken in dog food or healthy turkey in dog food. Poultry meat is easy to cook and you can try various DIY dog food recipes at home using them. They are high in nutrition and taste great as well! Here are some very interesting homemade dog food recipes using chicken and turkey meat. Hope you will like these natural dog food recipes.
18. Homemade Chicken Casserole Dog Food Recipe
There are several types of chicken recipes for dogs. Somehow, both humans and dogs seem to be fond of chicken casserole recipes. With all due credits for the great taste it gives, we can take no blame. Here is an interesting and great homemade chicken casserole recipe for dog food which your dog is going to go bananas over! Extremely healthy, easy to prepare, filled with ingredients that bear high nutritional value and the chicken emits all the juicy taste your dog is craving for. It is a must try indeed.
Chicken Breasts – Boiled and cut into bite-sized pieces – 2
Brown Rice – Steamed – 1 cup
Peas – Frozen – 1 cup
Carrot Medley – Steamed – 1 cup
Celery Stock – Cut into small pieces – 1
Pumpkin Puree – 1 cup
Potato – Boiled and cut into bite-sized pieces – 1
Unsalted Chicken Broth – 3 tablespoons
How to prepare Homemade Chicken Casserole Dog Food
- Start by preheating the oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut the chicken breasts into small bite-size pieces.
- In a medium size saucepan add the chicken and pour the water over it, just enough to cover the chicken.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and let this chicken simmer for 30 minutes.
- Simultaneously you can get the rice cooking in a steamer or another saucepan. For one cup of rice added, you will have to add one and a half cup of water.
- Take another saucepan and boil the potato in this. Let this boil and then simmer in the water for 20 minutes or until the potato has turned soft.
- When all three of these preparations are cooked adequately, you can go ahead to combining them.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the prepared contents to it. Now add the remaining if the ingredients as well; peas, carrots, pumpkin puree, chicken broth, and celery.
- Give all the ingredients a good mix and empty them into a casserole dish.
- Send this dish inside the oven, without the lid. Let it bake for 20 minutes.
- Once done, you can remove the casserole dish from the oven and wait until it has cooled down to room temperature.
- Serve it to your dog and be proud of this delicacy!
- It can be stored in the freezer and served in a portion of meals when need. Just remember to thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before you serve.
19. Homemade Chicken Jerky for Dogs
Aren’t they a delight? Chicken jerky is a favorite snack for many people (and pets!). It is easy to prepare although it takes time to prepare. It is high in protein and delicious to snack on. You can just grab along some homemade chicken jerky and enjoy them when hunger strikes you anytime. Here is a great recipe for homemade chicken jerky for dogs (and for you!). A big bonus with this homemade chicken jerky recipe is that it is low in fat and high in protein. Do try it out.
Chicken Breasts – Skinless and boneless – 1 pound
Smooth Peanut Butter – 1 tablespoon
Soy Sauce – ¼ teaspoon
How to prepare Homemade Chicken Jerky for Dogs
- Start by preheating oven to 170 degrees.
- Prepare the chicken by thoroughly checking it for any bits of bone or extra fat. It must be completely rid of bones, fat, and skin. Once done, pat the chicken dry.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the soy sauce and peanut butter. Combine them together well. This will make the marinade for the chicken jerky. If it is thick, add some water and stir well with a spoon. Adjust the consistency accordingly.
- Now coat the chicken carefully covering all areas using this marinade. Pop it into the freezer for an hour. The reason behind freezing the chicken is that cutting the chicken into strips becomes easier.
- Remove the chicken from the freezer after an hour and slice it into thin strips; as thin as possible.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sliced chicken jerky strips, in a single layer, on the lined sheet.
- Bake them in the oven for 2 hours.
- Once done remove and enjoy the homemade chicken jerky for dogs and for you!
- They can be broken into smaller bite-size pieces or you can have them longer as well. Can be stored in airtight containers. Will last upto 30 days in sealed airtight containers.
20. Homemade Healthy Chicken Dog Food
Chicken is something most of us are fond of. This is because it is high in proteins and is a great food to help us gain strength. However, we are also conscious about gaining muscles, yet staying fit by shedding carbs. Why not take steps to keep your dog fit by following the same. You can try this homemade high protein low carb food for dogs; a brilliant recipe that is healthy and yet delicious to the taste buds. It is a good mix of healthy natural ingredients and also acts as a supplement for dogs. They will make sure your dog remains fit and agile.
Ground Chicken – 16 ounces (453 grams)
Long Grain White or Brown Rice – 1/3 cup
Mixed Vegetables – 1/3 cup
Canine Multivitamin – 2 tablets
Choline Bitartrate – ½ tablet
Calcium Carbonate – 1 teaspoon
Salmon Oil – 5 teaspoon
Salt – 5 teaspoon
How to prepare Homemade Healthy Chicken Dog Food
- Warm up the salmon oil in a pan. Add the ground chicken to the heated oil and fry it until cooked. Drain out the fat from the pan and chicken after it is done.
- In a stockpot cook the brown rice separately.
- Steam the mixed vegetable that you have chosen until they become tender.
- Take a larger mixing bowl. Add the remaining of the ingredients- cooker own rice, steamed vegetables, fried chicken, Choline Bitartrate, Calcium Carbonate, and salt.
- DO NOT add the canine multivitamin tablets now. They have to be given separately. When heated, the Vitamin B content becomes ineffective. You can either add the canine multivitamin tablets just before serving or can give it separately on a daily basis.
- The healthy homemade chicken low carb dog food is ready!
21. Homemade Slow Cooker Chicken Dog Food
There are different recipes for homemade chicken dog food. The benefit of adding variety to your dog’s diet is that your pet will remain happy and healthy. It is a misleading fact to believe that the expensive packed dog food with flavors that are interesting and attractive can turn out to be healthy. And thus here is another twist to the regular chicken recipe for dog food. Try it out to have a nutritious meal for your energy furball!
Chicken Thighs and Breasts – Boneless and Skinless – 2½ to 3 pounds
Sweet Potato – Cubed – 1
Carrots – Sliced – 2
Green Beans – Frozen – 2 cups
Peas – Frozen – 2 cups
Apples – Cored and cubed without seeds- – 1 large sized or 2 medium sized
Kidney Beans – Drained and rinsed – 1 can
Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
How to prepare Homemade Slow Cooker Chicken Dog Food
- In a crockpot add the chicken and fill it water; just enough to cover the chicken.
- Add all of the following ingredients- potato, carrots, kidney beans, green beans, and apple.
- This has to cook on low setting for 8 to 9 hours.
- Once done add the frozen peas. Let this cook for another 30 minutes.
- After the peas look cooked, drain off the excess water from the crockpot.
- Use a spatula to mix them all together.
- Mash well in a food processor. The homemade dog meal is ready!
- It can be frozen and stored in smaller containers. Before you serve, remember to thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. You can pop in multivitamin supplements just before serving it to your dog. This homemade slow cooker dog food recipe is a great option for both aging and growing dogs because of its high nutrients and protein content.
22. Homemade Veggie and Turkey Dog Food
This is a smart recipe that tries to pack in one all the necessary nutrients for a healthy growing dog. Turkey is rich in protein and the vegetables used are high in nutrients. It is a complete wholesome meal that will ensure that your dog does not just have to be satisfied with the great taste, but has also received a meal which benefits their health. It is a recipe with well-chosen ingredients like ground turkey and liver. You can also add safflower oil to the meal which is high in fatty acids; this will help to give your dog a shiny and thick coat.
Lean Turkey – Ground – 2 pounds
Raw Turkey or Chicken Liver – Finely diced or pureed – 2 tablespoon
Carrots – Coarsely chopped – 2 medium sized
Broccoli Florets – 1 cup
Cauliflower Florets – 1 cup
Zucchini – Sliced – ½
Olive Oil – 2 tablespoon
How to prepare Homemade Veggie and Turkey Dog Food
- In a double boiler pour about one and a half cup of water into it. Put the carrots in a steam basket and place it over the pot and cover it.
- Heat the water until it is boiling and later reduce the flame from heat to low.
- Let the carrots steam until they are tender which will take around 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, take the turkey and chicken liver in a skillet and cook them over medium heat until they are ready or there is no more pink left.
- Drain it and remove any fat that you find in the meat.
- Now, to the steam basket, add the broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini. Let them steam until all the vegetables become tender (do not let them get mushy). This will take around 6 to 8 minutes.
- Once the veggies cool down you can chop them. It is better to have them finely chopped, similar to canned veggies.
- Add the chopped veggies to the turkey and liver and stir until well combined.
- In a skillet, add some olive oil and toss in the contents prepared. Mix them together well.
- The homemade veggies and turkey dog food are ready! Store in freezer and thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before you serve.
Be it natural raw dog food or cooked beef dog food, or just packed beef dog biscuits. Beef is any dog’s favorite. It is rich in cholesterol, iron, proteins and a whole lot of beneficial components for dog’s health. However, the quantity of beef given must be watched closely, and following the bet’s guidance is recommended. There are many recipes for natural dog food with beef; raw dog food with beef meatballs, patties, etc., make great dog meal ideal. Cooked beef is no less tasty. Most dogs go bonkers over the comfort of simple yet heavenly beef stew. Here we have few mouth-watering natural dog foods with beef recipes. Let’s jump into it!
23. Homemade Poochie Meat Cakes for Dogs
Meat is an all-time favorite for dogs and most humans as well. What many varieties we have to consume meat? Aren’t they simply wonderful to the taste buds and healthy to the body as well? Well, your dogs as well love to have meat. There are many homemade meat recipes for dogs which are nutritious and most of the times the wholesome balanced meal to keep them healthy as well. Using meat one can make meatballs for dogs, interesting homemade cake for dogs, meat stew for dogs, casserole recipe for dogs, tasty meat patties for dogs, and more! Your imagination can go wild. This lovely Homemade Poochie Meat Cakes recipe is a balanced diet with it highly nutritious ingredients like meat, veggies, oats, and eggs. Try this one and your dog is going to be forever grateful!
Brown Rice – 1½ cup
Water – 3 cups
Potatoes – Grated – 2 large sized
Carrots – Grated – 4 large sized
Celery Stalks – Chopped – 2 large sized
Ground Beef – 6 pounds
Eggs – 8
Regular Rolled Oats – 1½ cup
Olive Oil – ¼ cup
Salt – just a dash to taste
How to prepare Homemade Poochie Meat Cakes for Dogs
- In a medium-sized container mix together rice and water. Without the lid, let the water come to boil. Let it be on high heat and let the rice cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes put back the lid on the saucepan, set the heat to low and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Once done, take off saucepan from stove and let it cool for a while.
- Use a fork or spoon to fluff the rice lightly and then let it be aside.
- In another bowl, add in the potatoes, carrots, eggs, celery, and the ground beef. Mix all these together.
- Next add olive oil, salt, rolled oats, and the cooked rice. Give it all a good mix until well combined.
- Prepare the muffin tins and oven well ahead to time.
- Now add the prepared mixture into the muffin tins. Pat it down until the tin is firm with the mixture and flat on top.
- Send the muffin tins into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. You can also set time accordingly to wait until the surface looks set and cooked.
- Once done, place the muffin tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes or more to cool them down a little.
- You can turn the muffin tins upside down and pat them over an aluminum foil to release the poochie meat cakes.
- Serve them to your dog when they are completely cooled down.
- They can be stored in the freezer or refrigerator for later use as well; store in Ziploc bags or airtight containers. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator before you serve them to your dog.
24. Homemade Satin Balls for Dogs (for weight gain)
Is your dog undernourished or underweight? Or is your pet surprisingly a fussy eater? Pets like them need some extra pumping in of calories to help them gain the ideal weight for dogs of their age, breed, and size. To help this, you can try the best homemade Satin Balls recipe for dogs to help dog gain weight. Check it out!
For Big or Medium Breed
Hamburger Meat – Ground beef of the cheapest kind – 10 pounds
Total Cereal / Shredded Wheat (no raisins) – 1 box
Oatmeal – 1 box
Unsulphured Molasses – 1 ¼ cup
Vegetable Oil – Olive oil or any other healthy oil with Omega 3 – 1 ¼ cup
Wheat Germ – 1 jar
Raw Eggs including Shells – 10
Envelopes of Unflavored Gelatin – 10
Salt – 1 pinch
For Small Breeds
Hamburger Meat – 1 pound
Total Cereal / Shredded Wheat (no raisins) – 1 cup
Oatmeal – 1 cup
Unsulphured Molasses – ¼ cup
Vegetable Oil – ¼ cup
Wheat Germ – ¼ cup
Raw Eggs including Shells – 1
Envelopes of Unflavored Gelatin – 1
Salt – 1 pinch
How to prepare Homemade Satin Balls for Dogs
- Pulverize the egg completely, including the shells.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Make small size balls of 1-inch size each. You can also make them into rectangular patties.
- Serve them raw to your dogs.
- They can be stored in the freezer. Just remember to thaw them ahead in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
- Keep a check on your dog’s weight gain scale while feeding these homemade satin balls for dogs. If you notice your dog reaches the ideal weight, then minimize the quantity or serving. Inform your vet about the change in diet as well.
25. Homemade Meatloaf for Dog with Veggies
Meatloaves! Need we say more than that? One of the top best recipes that are sufficient to make any meal sumptuous. The cooked meat along with the vegetables and seasoning is an absolute delight to consume. It is no surprise that dogs are crazy about meatloaves as well. There are many homemade meatloaf recipes for dogs. And it is important to treasure them for their taste. Here is a healthy and tasty recipe for homemade meatloaf for dogs, with vegetables! You will not believe how simple this recipe is by the way. Try this out for yourself and be ready to see the happy wags and drools!
Lean Ground Beef – 1½ pounds
Celery – Chopped – 3 stalks
Carrots – Grated – 2
Apple – Cored and Diced – 1
Eggs – 2
White Bread – Torn into Pieces – 2 slices
Regular Rolled Oats – 1 cup
Wheat Germ – 1 cup
Tomato Paste – 1 can (6 ounces or 170 grams)
Potatoes – Cubed – 4 medium sized
Carrots – Chopped – 3
Celery – Cubed – 1 stalk
How to prepare Homemade Meatloaf for Dog with Veggies
- To get ready for baking, you will have to preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You will need a large roasting tray. Drizzle some oil on it, smear it well, and set this aside.
- Take a large sized mixing bowl. In this add in- ground beef, three stalks of celery, grated carrots, apple, eggs, bread, oats, wheat germ and tomato paste. Mix together all of these ingredients thoroughly. You can use your hands to mix them to ensure they are combined well.
- When done separate the mixture into 4 equal parts and shape them into loaves.
- Place these loaves in the pan greased with oil.
- Surround the 4 loaves with the potatoes, rest of the carrots and celery.
- Place a lid over this pan and send it into the oven.
- Let this bake for about 80 minutes or until you think the meat is completely cooked. When you check with a meat thermometer the inside temperature of the meatloaf must be 175 degrees Fahrenheit or 80 degrees Celsius.
- Allow the loaves to cool down completely before you serve it to your dogs. The remaining portion of the meatloaf can be stored in the refrigerator in airtight containers.
- Let your dog relish this special homemade meatloaf with veggies for dogs every once in a while.
26. Homemade Chili for Dog
This is a total game changer in homemade dog food. It is different, tasty and healthy as well. This recipe for homemade chili is quick to prepare and requires few ingredients. Try this for your dog and you will have a battle for more chili at home!
Carrots – 4
Tomato paste – 1 can
Butter – 2 tablespoon
Beef Broth (without salt)
Ground Beef – 1 lb
Corn (optional) – 1 can
How to prepare Homemade Chili for Dogs
- First, you need to boil the macaroni.
- Cook the beef in a frying pan.
- Add butter, carrots, corn and tomato paste to your beef and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Once done add the beef mixture to your casserole dish, add your beef broth.
- After this, send inside the oven at 350 degrees and cook for half an hour
27. Homemade Beef Stew for Dogs
Stew is a great comfort food. We all love to curl up with some hot homemade stew and any type of bread. It warms the heart as well, with its amazing taste. The same applies to dogs as well. They love beef and they all the more love natural homemade beef stew. Being high on proteins, calories, fatty acids, iron, and other minerals as well; rich homemade stew for dogs is a great way to express your concern for your dog’s health. The perfect consistency and ingredients make it a favorite dish of many.
Beef, Chicken or Turkey – Ground – 1 pound
Potato or Sweet Potato – 1 large sized
Carrot – Diced – 1 medium sized
Peas – Frozen – ½ cup
How to prepare Homemade Beef Stew for Dogs
- To make beef stew, you will begin by sautéing beef in a large pot to the point it is no longer pink. Do not take out the fat from the meat since is the right kind of fat for your dog.
- If you wish to use a little leaner meat, you can add about two tablespoons of coconut oil, so your pet gets some of the essential fat.
- After this, add the potatoes and carrots to the meat.
- Add water in amounts just enough to cover the vegetables in the stew and let it boil before letting it simmer for around 20 minutes. Or you can make it simmer till the veggies are cooked.
- To this, add the frozen peas. If you want, you can also add a small amount of sea salt, so the food does not remain entirely bland.
- Allow the preparation to cool before serving it to your dog. You can serve your dog with whatever amounts you wish, or they prefer and refrigerate or freeze the extra portions. It takes up a total of or lesser than 35 minutes to make.
- The reason that this recipe has options like using turkey or chicken as alternatives to beef is that it is good to have a little bit of change. Plus, if beef is not available or if you feel that the produce is not fresh, you can replace it with any other meat item which suits you.
28. Homemade Beef and Vegetable Balls for Dogs
Any type of meatball calls for a celebration. If it is cheesy beefy balls mixed with vegetables needless to say how delicious it must be. Beef balls are not just tasty but there are high in protein content. Vegetables balance the proteins with minerals and nutrients that are required. This recipe for homemade Beef and Vegetable Balls for dogs will be a one worth trying without delay.
Lean Ground Beef – 1 pound
Brown Rice – Cooked – 1 cup
Celery – Finely chopped – 1 stalk
Carrot – Shredded or finely chopped – 1
Spinach – Frozen, thawed and chopped – ½ cup
Parmesan Cheese – 2 tablespoon
Eggs – 2 large sized
How to prepare Homemade Beef and Vegetable Balls for Dogs
- Like any other baking recipe, you will have to begin by preheating oven to 400
- Take a muffin tin and spray the inside of it with Pam. You can also lightly brush it with cooking oil.
- Next, take a large mixing bowl. Add in all the ingredients. Combine them together thoroughly using your hands.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal size balls. Place them 1 in each muffin tin.
- Pop the balls in the oven. Let it bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Wait until they are completely cooled down before you serve it to your dog.
- Store the balance portions in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Most of the times we tend to overlook the importance of fish in a balanced diet for dogs. Fishes are rich in omega-3-fatty acids, which offer numerous benefits to maintain good health; both for humans and dogs. The fish oils also help to provide your dog with a shiny coat. There are several new flavors in raw dog food with fish extracts and also in packed dog food with fish. But, nothing compares to homemade natural dog food that is free from chemicals and preservatives. Here are few different fish recipes for dogs that are guaranteed o keep your dog healthy and drooling for more! Check them out.
29. Homemade Fish Meatballs for Dogs
This is an excellent homemade raw dog food recipe with fish and meat content. The raw dog food is a great supply of proteins and minerals in their unaltered form. They are not just appetizing for your dog, but are also healthy. You just have to remember to serve the meatballs according to your dog’s weight. Also check with your vet before to decide to give any raw dog food.
Frozen Fish Fillets – 2 pounds
Pink Salmon – 1 to 2 cans
Beef Liver – ¼ to ½ pound
Eggs – 1 to 3
Chopped Vegetables (Carrot, Cabbage, Broccoli, Spinach, Kale, etc.) – 2 cups
Shelled Pumpkin Seeds – ½ cup
Honey – 2 tablespoons
Dried Parsley – 2 tablespoons
Dried Oregano – 2 tablespoons
Turmeric Powder – 2 tablespoons
Kelp Powder – 2 tablespoons
How to prepare Homemade Fish Meatballs for Dogs
- In a meat grinder, add in frozen fish fillets, beef liver, veggies and pumpkin seeds.
- While you are still grinding these; add in honey, eggs, canned salmon, dried herbs and kelp powder.
- Make the mixture into small meatballs and store them in the freezer. They can be used upto 3 months of time. Before you serve them to your dog, the meatballs have to be thawed overnight in the refrigerator.
30. Homemade Spinach and Salmon Scramble
Spinach is a rich source of iron and minerals. And Salmon is a great way to add Omega-3-Fatty Acids and fish protein in dog’s diet. These both can be combined to provide your dog with a high supply of nutrients. Something as simple as a scramble can be tasty and healthy for your dogs. Try this homemade spinach and salmon scramble for your dogs and they will enjoy it for sure! If your dogs have any sensitivity to spinach in diet, do check with the vet before you decide to add this in their diet.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) – 1 teaspoon
Spinach – Frozen, chopped, thawed and drained – ½ cup
Salmon – Skinless, boneless, and drained – ½ can (3 ounces or 85 grams)
Eggs – 2
How to prepare Homemade Spinach and Salmon Scramble
- In a non-stick skillet pour in the extra virgin olive oil. Heat it.
- To the heated EVOO, add the spinach and salmon, and cook until they are both heated through.
- Add the eggs to this and stir without stopping until the dish is thoroughly prepared, which will not take more than 2 minutes.
- Wait until the dish is cooled down completely before you serve it to your dog.
31. Homemade Fish Patty with Veggies
Another interesting way to serve vegetables and fish in dog food is to prepare them for yummy and healthy fish patties! Homemade fish patties for dogs are easy to make and filled with nutrients. You can rest assured that your dog is receiving the best nutrition from completely homemade natural dog food free from chemicals!
Salmon – 1 can
Medium-sized Carrot – 1
Potato – 1
Egg – 1
Stalk of Celery – 1
Flour – 3 tablespoons
How to prepare Homemade Fish Patty with Veggies
- Start off by chopping carrot, celery, and potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Now mix the drained salmon with flour and egg.
- When done, fry the salmon in oil after cutting it into small patties.
- When the patties are golden brown, take them out and stir-fry the vegetables for around 5-7 minutes.
- The patties are ready to be served!
32. Homemade Fish Cake for Dogs
Are you ready to make the best homemade cake for dogs with fish? It is a great recipe that will keep your dog wandering behind you for more! The best part about this homemade fish cake for dog recipe is that you can provide all the essential nutrients that your dog is in need of. It combines the best veggies, eggs, and fish. You are clearly avoiding the harmful side effects of canned fish food for dogs by making your own natural dog food instead. Let’s head to the recipe.
Potatoes – Peeled and chopped – 2 large sized
Peas – Frozen – 4 ounces (113 grams)
Tuna – 1 large can (15 ounces or 425 grams)
Albacore Tuna – 2 cans
Eggs – Hardboiled and chopped – 2 large sized
Parsley – Chopped and divided – a large handful
How to prepare Homemade Fish Cake for Dogs
- Boil the potatoes in unsalted water until they become tender.
- Wait until they have cooled down completely and then mash them in a bowl.
- Now, to this mashed potatoes, add about a quarter of parsley.
- Here the potatoes may feel quite dry, but remember that you DO NOT have to add anything to add moisture to them
- Take the peas and cook them as per the instructions that are given on the package.
- Next, take another large mixing bowl and add into it the salmon, tuna, rest of the parsley, hard-boiled eggs, and peas. Give them all a good mix until well combined.
- How to serve now depends on your choice. You can either mix in the mashed potatoes with the fish mixture or serve them directly after the preparation cools down. Or, you can make the fish into small patties using a cookie cutter, and top it with the mashed potatoes.
- The amount you serve will depend on your dog’s age and weight.
- Any leftover can be stored in the fridge for about three days in an airtight container.
Special Dog Food
When your dog is in need of some special attention, the food also has to be specific healthy homemade dog food. In this section, there are few recipes for dog food when they have diarrhea, sensitive stomach, for senior canines. These recipes will help you to make homemade dog food that is safe to give during these times of trouble and is cheaper than store-bought alternatives as well. Nevertheless, it is best advised to follow your vet’s guidance before you feed your dog these recipes or any food despite these being vet approved homemade dog food.
33.Homemade Healing Mash for Dogs Suffering from Diarrhoea and Gas
This recipe is an excellent choice also as a prevention strategy. You can give your dog’s tummy a break from digestion heavy meals by giving them this recipe once or twice a week. If you notice your dog has gas, diarrhea or vomiting before you take them to the vet you can also try feeding them this recipe. The high fiber content will help to firm stool and stabilize the stomach’s digestion process.
100% Canned Pumpkin
Plain Boiled Chicken
Recipe 1 – Plain Mash
- Shredded Boiled Chicken
- Warm Water – ½ cup
- White Rice
Cook white rice and shred the chicken into it with the warm water. Directly feed the mixture to your pet at the time of its regular meals.
Recipe 2 – Sweet Mash
- Plain Cultured Yogurt – 2 tablespoons
- Canned Pureed Pumpkin – ½ can
Mix both the ingredients and serve it to your canine at regular intervals. Start introducing the proper food after a few days of eating Mash.
Recipe 3 – All in one Mash
- 100% Canned Pumpkin – ½ cup
- Plain Boiled Chicken
- White Rice – ½ cup
- Plain Cultured Yogurt – 2 tablespoons
- Warm Water – ¼ cup
Cook the white rice and add canned pumpkin and plain yogurt to it. Torn the boiled chicken into small pieces and add warm water to it. Mix all the ingredients and serve your dog. Continue the meal until your dog seems alright.
34. Homemade Dog Food for Senior Canines
If your vet has prescribed that you feed your dog low protein diet due to old age or any other medical condition, you must try this recipe. This is vet approved dog food recipe and healthy for your dog. The very reason to give your dog a low protein diet must not be taken lightly. You must be careful in choosing the cheapest meat but is high in fat content. This is to ensure your dog receives the fat despite being low in protein. Dog health during old age cannot be neglected; and you can ensure that your senior canine is in the best of health by feeding them healthy, tasty and special dog food like this one. Let’s head to the recipe.
Ground Beef (Do not use Lean) – ¼ pound
Cooked White Rice without Salt – 2 cups
Hard Cooked Egg – Peeled and chopped – 1
White Bread – Crumbled – 3 slices
Calcium Carbonate Powder – 1 teaspoon
How to prepare Homemade Dog Food for Senior Canines
- Begin by cooking the beef separately. It must be cooked through thoroughly.
- Now mix the remaining ingredients with the beef and stir to combine them well.
- Feed this meal twice a day.
- Cook the beef and add the eggs when it is almost cooked.
- Cover the pan with a lid until all the ingredients in the preparation are cooked through completely.
- Divide into the feeding portion and serve. Can be stored in the freezer in sealed bags. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving
Remember that this meal must be consumed within 3 to 4 days. Ensure that you add good grade multivitamin and other supplements to it before serving.
35. Homemade Sensitive Stomach Dog Food
This bland food diet is preferred by vets and must be given to the dog after fasting for 12 hours since diarrhea occurred. When your dog has a sensitive stomach to any particular food or for some other reason, their digestive system will have a difficulty to digest their regular heavy meals. You can make the best use of this recipe during those times.
Half boiled chicken/ turkey breast – 1/4th part
Brown rice (Boiled) – 3/4th part
How to prepare Homemade Sensitive Stomach Dog Food
- Mix both the ingredients in a bowl and serve in small quantities for 3-4 times in a day.
- Rice will help in firming up the loose stool, while white meat being rich in protein will serve as a rebounding ingredient for the dog.
- You can also add cottage cheese and yogurt to his diet, as it will add more good bacteria into his intestinal tract, and aid to the recovering process.
36. Homemade Dog Food for Arthritis
If you have a dog who is suffering from arthritis, they need special care and attention. The diet they receive must be healthy and also acts as a natural remedy for the pain and discomfort the disease brings. This recipe is a good one to not just strengthening your dog, but will also provide relief from the pain and fatigue they face.
White Turkey Meat – 1 pound
Extra Lean Ground Beef – 1 pound
Cooked Brown Rice – ½ cup
Oats – 1 cup
Warm Water (for oats)
Raw Carrots – Sliced – ½ cup
Kale – ½ cup
Celery – ½ cup
Cottage Cheese – ½ cup
Mixed Vegetables – Peas, Broccoli and Green Beans (Frozen)
Alfalfa Powder – 1 teaspoon
Parsley – 1 pinch
Flax Seed Oil – 1 capsule
Unsalted Beef Broth – 3 tablespoons
How to prepare Homemade Dog Food for Arthritis
- Cook the white turkey meat in a slow cooker until the temperature is around 145 degrees Fahrenheit or about seven hours.
- Cool it down and chop it into bite-sized pieces and store in a bowl.
- Now, make brown rice and brown the ground beef, mix the drained grease from beef to the rice.
- On the other side, combine all the vegetables with alfalfa powder and oats with warm water.
- Mix all the ingredients properly in a large bowl and then take out a portion to serve your pet.
- Store the rest in the refrigerator.
37. Homemade Dog Food for Diabetic Dogs
It is important to concentrate on the right diet when a dog is diabetic. The food given must have a low glycemic index and must be capable of regulating the blood sugar levels in the body. This recipe is one such one. It not only is a healthy choice of diet for your dog, but it will also prevent your dog’s blood sugar level from rising up. Do try this!
Water – 28 cups
Rinsed Chickpea Lentil – 4 pounds
Rinsed Brown Lentils – 2 pounds
Rinsed Black-eyed Peas – 2 pounds
Rinsed Green Split Peas – 2 pounds
Rinsed Pearl Barley – 1 pound
Boneless Chicken Breasts – Cut into cubes of ½ inch – 5 pounds
Ground Turkey – 1 pound
Organic Pumpkin of your choice – 29 oz.
Frozen Broccoli – Cut into pieces – 32 oz.
Frozen Carrots – Crinkle cut – 32 oz.
Frozen Green Beans – 32 oz.
Frozen Spinach – Chopped – 20 oz.
How to prepare Homemade Dog Food for Diabetic Dogs
- You can start the preparation by boiling water over high heat followed by adding chickpea lentil, brown lentils, black-eyed peas, barley and green split peas to it.
- After adding these ingredients, reduce the heat to medium.
- Add chicken breast, ground turkey, Pumpkin and frozen vegetables.
- Then, reduce the heat to low and occasionally stir before almost all the water is absorbed.
- Store the food to feed your dog multiple times.
We have reached the end of the long list of 37 Best Homemade Dog Food recipes. Hope you will find each one of them helpful. Do share and spread the need to provide pets with homemade dog treats and homemade dog meals, since they are the best choice to have a healthy dog with a long life span and filled with energy. Do share with us any more recipes for dogs that you know of.